Related Posts with Thumbnails

What label are you??

>> Tuesday, April 10, 2007



I was visiting the website of Derek Prince, an incredible teacher of the Word that we highly respect. Derek Prince went to be with Jesus in 2003, but his legacy to the Body of Christ lives on. The following is a recent devotional.

~~~

I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts. NIV
Psalm 119:63

When you tell somebody you are a Christian, what’s the first question they usually put to you? What denomination do you belong to? What church do you attend? Are you a Baptist, a Methodist, a Lutheran, a Catholic? You know, I don’t believe that God is so much interested in these labels as some human beings are.

Personally, I’ve come to a place in my life where I don’t like to be pigeonholed by a denominational label. I don’t want people to put me into just a little box and say, that’s where you belong, because after that they don’t really have much more to think about. I like to leave people thinking. I like to keep them guessing just a little.

So when people ask me sometimes, “What denomination are you, what church do you attend?” I like to answer, like the psalmist: “I’m a friend to all who fear God, to all who follow His precepts.” It isn’t so much a matter of label; it’s a question of the attitude of the heart and the course of the life. I can truly say I’m a friend to all who fear and love God, to all who follow His precepts. The label doesn’t matter. The attitude of the heart and the course of the life, that’s what’s important. I want to be lined up with all those who truly love God and serve Him of whatever creed or label. - Derek Prince

~~~

That is my desire also, that I would be known for my passionate outrageous love for Jesus Christ, not because I go to a certain church. I want to be a friend of those who fear God and follow His precepts. I want to be so close to Jesus...more of Him and less of me....that I want people to see the light of His glory in me. "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they would see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven". Matt. 5:16.

I ask myself these questions: do people see Jesus in me as I'm walking on the street or in the store or at a job? What about when we take our children into a store, (well, mine are grown, but I still go into the store with them! ) and people watch how we relate to them? How about when a cashier is having a really really bad day, do we take the time to encourage them? Or are we in too much of a hurry? What if we are mistreated by a cashier, how do we respond? And on and on... We have so many opportunities to shine our light to others.

I was outside a business recently, playing with my granddaughter. When I went into the business, 4 people were standing there and immediately repeated the conversation they had with each other as they were watching me through the window. I was amazed. It wasn't me they saw, it was Jesus in me. I was reminded that people are always watching us, even though we may not see them. Either through business windows or the vehicle behind or beside us. Maybe they are our neighbors who peek out through the curtains as you're piling your family into the car to go to church on Sunday morning.

There are so many people with empty lives out there. They are hurting. And they're hungry for something that they can't put their finger on. It's that God-shaped hole in their heart that they are looking to fill and they don't know how to fill it. It's up to us, dear friends, to point them in the right direction. If you are one of those hurting people looking for answers and you would like to learn more about life and freedom in an amazing relationship with Jesus Christ, please click here.

My desire is that strangers would come up to me and say "what is different about you? I want what you have". I don't think that's an unreasonable desire. We are to be ready at all times to give an answer as to the hope that is in us - 1Peter 3:15. That's what I'm praying for anyway.

"Father, open my eyes to the divine appointments that you place in front of me. Give me more of a boldness to reach out to those who are aching for real life and looking for the answer. Help me to be instant at all times, ready to give an answer to them about the hope that is in me. And help me to be a pure reflection of Your love and mercy and compassion. " In Jesus Name!

What about you?

Blessings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © 2010 Kisses From the Sky / Design by: Split Decisionz / Template by: OurBlogTemplates

Back to TOP